The “Deutsche Menschenrechtskoordination Mexiko” /German Human Rights Coordination Mexico (DMRKM) is a network of 18 organizations and initiatives founded in 1999. The aim of the DMRKM is to work together towards the promotion and protection of human rights in Mexico. The network and its members maintain close relationships with non-governmental human rights and civil society organizations in Mexico. To support Mexican human rights defenders and victims of human rights violations, DMRKM carries out advocacy and campaigning activities at national and international level, maintaining a regular exchange with German, European and International governmental institutions as well as human rights organizations. The DRMKM-Coordinator manages the network activities, in close cooperation with member organizations and the public relations officer. The DMRKM office is based in Berlin and DMRKM is organizationally hosted by the Ecumenical Office for Peace and Justice e.V. (Ökumenisches Büro für Frieden und Gerechtigkeit e.V.).
As a CPS worker with DMRKM you will focus on lobbying EU institutions in Brussels, working from within the DMRKM team at the Berlin office. You will make human rights problems in Mexico visible and place them on the political agenda. As CPS worker, you will gain insights into the working structures of European institutions and civil society organizations, strengthening DMRKMs relationship with them and build a network. In addition, advocacy activities at UN level in Geneva may also be required (e.g. with regard to the 2023 UPR process). Thus, your working languages will be English and Spanish.
Equally important will be the transfer of knowledge about lobbying at EU level to Mexican human rights organizations. The organizations shall be strengthened sustainably in their independent advocacy work on EU level. In order to ensure this process, a one-year follow-up contract in Mexico-City after a three-year term in Berlin is planned.
As part of the onboarding process, you will gain insight into the advocacy work of the DMRKM and its member organizations in Germany. Your office will be located in Berlin, Germany. Frequent travel to Brussels, Belgium and occasional travel to Mexico is planned. You are part of DMRKM and respond directly to the DMRKM-Coordinator and member organizations.
This job position is part of the Civil Peace Service (CPS) of Brot für die Welt which aims at preventing violence and promoting peace in crisis zones and conflict regions. It contributes to achieving the outcomes defined in Brot für die Welt’s CPS Mexico program and to the goals laid out in the common CPS country strategy. The program is funded by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
The position is part of a project inviting people from the Global South to apply their knowledge in the Global North and transfer back new learnings to their home countries. Therefore, especially professionals from the Global South are invited to apply.
Tasks and Responsibilities
Advocacy and Public Relations:
– Development and implementation of strategic advocacy activities vis-à-vis EU institutions
– Maintain regular contact with European institutions, especially the Parliament and EEAS, civil society organizations and networks at EU level
– Preparation of lobbying letters and joint press releases/statements in English and Spanish, preparation and implementation of concrete activities such as events, social media posts, etc. in coordination with the members of the DMRKM and the DMRKM office.
– Preparation/follow-up and participation in events related to Mexico and in line with DMRKM priority issues (e.g. EU-Mexico Human Rights Dialogue). Information and feedback on results and possible courses of action to the DMRKM
– Supporting DMRKM partner organizations from Mexico to gain access to decision makers at EU level
Coordination of activities with DMRKM and network in Mexico:
– Coordination within the DMRKM network to design an advocacy strategy for priority topics at EU level and implementation of related activities
– Exchange with civil society in Mexico (sounding board) to coordinate advocacy strategies regarding European decision-makers, in consultation with DMRKM
Knowledge Management and Transfer:
– Documentation and preparation of information about stakeholders, processes and procedures in Brussels for DMRKM and Mexican civil society
– Preparation of a manual on country-related advocacy in Brussels for Mexican civil society and documentation of best practices
– Design and implementation of workshops on advocacy in Brussels for members of the DMRKM and Mexican civil society organizations
Civil Peace Service and Administration:
– Preparation of the annual CPS reports (narrative) in collaboration with DMRKM and the Ecumenical Office for Peace and Justice e.V., as well as contribution to other annual reports of the DMRKM
– If possible, (virtual) participation in annual meetings of CPS partner organizations and CPS workers in Mexico and participation in exchanges with CPS workers from other organizations in Germany
– Very good command of written and spoken English and Spanish. Knowledge of French is an asset
– At least 5 years of professional experience in (international) advocacy work in the field of human rights and/or peace work
– Very good knowledge of Mexican civil society and Mexican human rights situation
– Previous experience in EU advocacy and good knowledge about EU Institutions is desirable
– Proven experience in teamwork and experience with working in civil society networks
– Constructive, attentive and diplomatic communication style. Ability to build networks and contacts
– High degree of personal initiative, ability to structure your work independently and work under pressure
– Ability to adapt to new working and living environments
– Willingness to acquire basic knowledge of German
– Commitment to frequently travel between Berlin and Brussels via train
What we offer:
The CPS worker will be deployed by Brot für die Welt to the Ecumenical Office for Peace and Justice e.V. (Ökumenisches Büro für Frieden und Gerechtigkeit e.V.) under the framework of the Civil Peace Service. Within this framework, the CPS worker will receive:
– Individual preparation in Mexico and/or Europe (job specific trainings; language courses if necessary)
– A three-year working contract based on the German Collective Wage Agreement for the Public Service (TVöD). All necessary insurances will be provided, benefits will be paid based on TVöD and personal living conditions of the candidate (e.g. contribution to rent, support for family members).
– After the initial three-year term in Berlin, it is planned to give the candidate a one-year working contract in Mexico.
– Support in finding accommodation, obtaining visa and language courses.
– BahnCard for frequent travels from Berlin to Brussels
How to Apply:
Applications (all documents in one pdf) comprising a CV with at least two references and a cover letter (please mention your availability) should be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org until 26th of March 2023. In case of any questions, please feel free to contact Marie Becher (email@example.com).
Due to the nature of the project, especially professionals from the Global South are invited to apply.
Please note, that due to varying individual visa requirements, it is currently not possible to set definitive dates for preparation and start of the job.